[FFmpeg-devel] Bugreport: compiling fails with -fPIC used

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Oct 15 13:57:48 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 01:19:37PM +0200, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> although i know that one should better not use -fPIC with ffmpeg to have
> the most performance, there are situations when it is needed.
> Using -fPIC as CFLAGS leads to compilation error:
>
> i386/dsputil_mmx.c: In function ?flac_compute_autocorr_sse2?:
> i386/dsputil_mmx.c:3028: error: can't find a register in class
> ?GENERAL_REGS? while reloading ?asm?

Well, the function and its uses could be put under #ifdef HAVE_7REGS,
but I think this probably is your compiler being stupid, I think only 5
registers should be needed, so it would be better if someone with
non-apple gcc can confirm the problem first.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger