[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] remove lrintf fallback implementation

Rich Felker dalias
Sun Oct 21 13:03:11 CEST 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 12:24:39PM +0200, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > However, I think this is the wrong approach.  If you are going to
> > implement llrint(), do it in Cygwin, not in FFmpeg.  It is the right
> > place to fix the issue instead of working around it and will give you
> > better karma by helping many other projects, not just FFmpeg.
> >
> > See this thread I started on the Cygwin mailing list (and ignore the
> > flamage):
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/92561
> >
> > All you have to do is add llrint() to newlib, Cygwin will pick it up
> > from there.  Alternatively you can wait for the next gcc upgrade in
> > Cygwin, which will reportedly carry along llrint().
> >
> > All in all I am against this patch.  We should be removing
> > platform-specific workarounds, not adding more of them.  If you cannot
> > wait for this to get fixed by the gcc upgrade, address the problem in
> > the right place, i.e. patch Cygwin, not FFmpeg.
> >
> > Diego
>
> If I never see another mail complaining about missing llrint and a
> broken patch which try to implement it I'm actually in favour of this patch.

I'm against optimized cpu-specific implementations to work around
broken systems with missing llrint, but is there something wrong with
just implementing it as (long long)rint(x) ?? llrint is a C99 feature
and C99 math features are notoriously poorly supported...

Rich