[FFmpeg-devel] yesterdays libavfilter merge

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Thu May 10 13:27:22 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:47:12PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> yesterdays merge brought in some ABI issues
>
> first is libav adding a "buffersink" libavfilter/buffersink.c
> which seems based on a old version of our buffersink
> vs. our libavfilter/sink_buffer.c
>
> second is that libav introduced our
> avfilter_get_audio_buffer_ref_from_arrays() with different API
> ive added that temporary under a new name to be able to finish the
> merge quickly
>
> can someone (nicolas? stefano?) maybe look into a technical solution/
> workaround to this? maybe a configure switch so that the user can
> decide at compile time if he needs to be compatible to the debian ABI

I don't think the configure switch will help much, user won't like this
extra complication and will likely prefer their own workarounds.

> maybe someone could speak with libav about these issues. It really
> seems becoming a bit ridiculous that they copy our code and slightly
> change API while keeping the function names just to break compatibility
> daemon404 interrested in trying ?

   <elenril> avfilter_get_audio_buffer_ref_from_arrays() is the
   natural choice to be consistent with avfilter_get_video_buffer_ref_from_arrays()

That sounds like a good argument to me (and our problems are not them,
even if it affects common users...).

Anyway, that function needed to be changed at some point (the planar
argument isn't valid anymore for example), so I think we should move to
the new function ASAP.

I propose to move to the new prototype (+unexpected major bump?), and keep
an index or public web page with "unavoidable API/ABI breakages" (where it
could be nice to avoid too much rant about Libav, even if the cause has to
be mentioned).

Clément B.