[FFmpeg-devel] [Libav-user] Building with MSVC toolchain resulting in seeking problem?

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:46:48 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM, "René J.V. Bertin" <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2013, at 08:52, Bjoern Drabeck wrote:
>> Btw I think there are still a couple more issues with the configure going wrong sometimes, depending what options I choose. Bit later when I got more time I can create a list of options and outcomes.. Will try to see if I can get a debug build to work which allows me to step into the code, with the feedback from John
>>

> The easiest way to get the best possible debugging experience would of course be to change av_get_cpu_flags as below. This removes the dependency on dead-code stripping, and is all that ought to be required if indeed the only linking errors you get are about the 3 worker functions called. (And frankly, is this really so unreadable that it is preferable to leave the stripping to the compiler rather than doing it explicitly?)
>
> int av_get_cpu_flags(void)
> {
>     if (checked)
>         return flags;
> #ifdef ARCH_ARM
>     if (ARCH_ARM) flags = ff_get_cpu_flags_arm();
> #endif
> #ifdef ARCH_PPC
>     if (ARCH_PPC) flags = ff_get_cpu_flags_ppc();
> #endif
> #ifdef ARCH_X86
>     if (ARCH_X86) flags = ff_get_cpu_flags_x86();
> #endif
>
>     checked = 1;
>     return flags;
> }

That is however not the only place, there are tons of places that
include arch-specific functions which are simply not available in a
windows builds.
My suggestion is to selectively disable optimizations for the files
you're looking into, while still being a bit annoying, it works pretty
well for me.