[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH]Allow to use ancient bash to make version.h

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Jun 22 15:03:19 CEST 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 12:54:24PM +0100, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 6/22/2014 12:13 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > can someone setup a fate client to test with that shell ?
>
> Sean has run Solaris fate clients for quite a long time without hitting
> such a bug. I would ask if they're even running a supported version
> of Solaris (Carl testing a random port of an old version of that shell
> is not the same as what's on the OS is not the same thing).
>
> I can ask Sean (he is the Solaris guru) for his opinion when he is around,
> but I can pretty much guarantee it wont be "hack around bugs in a shell".

please ask

also ive a open solaris VM and it seems this patch doesnt make a
difference to any installed shells i found but then i dont know if
this represents the original unmodified opensolaris

/bin/sh ./version.sh
succeeds but gives no output

thanks

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.