[FFmpeg-devel] Anyone needs HW or other things that require money, please open a ticket on trac

Christophe Gisquet christophe.gisquet at gmail.com
Wed May 14 13:06:23 CEST 2014

Hi,

> I think a machine accessible via ssh like obe2 was for AVX is better, no?

If there are priorities to be made, sure. But an AVX2 system probably
sets you back a few hundreds $currency (even more so for a laptop
and/or shiny logos). Compared to that, the cost of an ARM or SSE1
system does not look to be an issue to me: saving on it won't let you
buy more AVX2 systems.

Of course this is moot, if one of the systems is donated/lent by a sponsor.

> I have plenty of AVX2 machines but none which I can give a permanent
> internet connection.

Indeed, the real issue here is system and maintainer availabilities.

Another issue is the type of workload on the machines. Benchmarking or
debugging on a system executing fate regularly is problematic. But I
have no experience with obe2, so maybe it is not such an issue.

--
Christophe