[FFmpeg-devel] point releases

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:23:44 EEST 2021

On 10/7/2021 10:07 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, at 11:35, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> I do plan to make releases from
>> 4.4, 4.2, 4.1, 4.0, 3.4, 3.2, 2.8 branches
>> why ?
>
> I think this is too many to maintain.
>
> I would argue you should only support:
> 2.8, 3.2, 3.4, 4.1 and 4.4
>
> 2.8 (Ubuntu LTS 16.04 + RHEL7)

Ubuntu ended support for 16.04 last April. And is the ffmpeg RHEL7
package official, or is it one of the Distros that shipped libav and
users provided custom ffmpeg packages for them (Like SUSE)?

> 3.2 (Debian Stretch)
> 3.4 (Ubuntu LTS 18.04)
> 4.1 (Debian Buster)

This is Old-Stable. Current Stable (Bullseye) uses 4.3, which also needs
to be supported.

> 4.4 (master)
>
> Because:
> - 4.0 is only OpenMandriva, and even the link says 4.4
> - 4.2 is only used by Fedora 32, that is EOL

Agree with dropping these two, as i pointed in other replies.