[FFmpeg-user] How to make ProRes files with SMPTE DTV audio for 5.1

Frédéric Busnel-Joncour fred.bj at free.fr
Tue Jun 19 11:11:31 EEST 2018

>>> Hello,
>>> I'm very new to ffmpeg. I work at a production company and I need to make
>>> Broadcast ProResHQ files with 5.1 audio plus Stereo on Ch.7&8.
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to figure out the command line inputs to get the
>>> correct audio configuration. I'm attaching a screen grab of the inspector
>>> windows for the Master file, and for the broadcast file that I have made
>>> successfully with other software. The resulting audio needs to be as
>>> follows: 24-bit Integer (little Endian) SMPTE DTV (L R C LFE LS RS LT RT)
>>> 48kHz. Our master files are exported with 6 mono tracks and 1 stereo
>> track.
>>>
>>> The following command line creates a ProResHQ file with Stereo audio.
>>>
>>> ffmpeg -i TEST.mov -c:v prores -profile:v 3 -acodec pcm_s24le
>>> TEST_ProResHQ.mov
>>>

>>> How can I change the command line to get the SMPTE DTV audio?

Hi,

I can't see in your post any attached file or log, but I think there's two things to investigate :
* -ac option and/or audio channels mapping.
* audio tag or metadata, as default eight channels audio will be considered as 7.1 and not 5.1 + LtRt. Not sure that you can do it in ffmpeg, it was possible to edit this in Quicktime Pro, but this is legacy software, and was only available on OS X and Windows AFAIK.

Best,

Fred