[Ffmpeg-devel] Bug in snow revision 1.50 - broken lossless mode

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Apr 14 01:02:46 CEST 2005

Hi

On Thursday 14 April 2005 00:11, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:00:00PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi

> > > is the problem just that we have too few bits? because fracbits count
> > > certainly be increased... i.e. we never seem to use more than 24 bits
> > > or so out of the 32...
> >
> > seems you missunderstand how lossless wavelet compression works
> > the trick is to use 0 fractional bits, and no quantization or
> > dequantization, now the new 9/7 wavelet does a rescaling step by 4/5
> > during encoding and 5/4 during decoding which obviously wont be lossless
> > that way, OTOH you can
>
> couldn't you scale by 8/5 and 5/8 instead so that the mapping would be
> injective?

yes, but it would make the other lifting steps slightly more complex, and
increase the number of bits needed in the lowpass band by 1 per
decomposition, which not only risks overflows and also isnt too good lossless
compression wise

Michael

"nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so." -- Elrond