[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: OT: cdrecord

Rich Felker dalias
Tue Aug 2 01:56:11 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:28:54PM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
>
> > realtime priority is not useful; joerg just claims it is. i've nver
> > used realtime priority, even when i had an old burner, and all modern
> > burners have "burnproof" functionality which turns off the laser when
> > the buffer drains and resyncs and resumes burning when more data is
> > available, all in hardware with no software intervention.
>
> BTW, Joergs cdrecord stupidly _disables_ burnproof by default,
> because he thinks it degrades cd quality.  (Which I could understand
> if burnproof would kick in too often, but it usually doesn't kick in
> and is nice to have safety net)

It would be interesting to see the real facts on whether it degrades
quality. IMO, even if there are a few corrupt bits on the cd, it's no
problem as long as they're skipped by devices reading it and the
protection level of the RS error correction isn't reduced. However
even if it does make a difference, like you say burnproof will usually
only take effect a couple times per disc, and the probability of
getting a scratch/damage at that exact spot is very very very low.

Rich