[Ffmpeg-devel] Compilation for Windows under Cygwin

Robert Lippmann rlippmann
Thu Aug 4 23:33:21 CEST 2005

> I'm sorry M. Niedermayer, but I download a version of tool and if this
> version it is writen that it should compile, I don't why I should use
> the version of CVS ! I understand that it could not work with the "pre"
> version but not with the 0.4.8 ! Moreover, the purpose was not really
> the fact that it does not compile but that it does not compile under
> Cygwin with MinGW wit hthe goal of using VS .Net.

MinGW != Cygwin

cygwin uses a dll to provide posix emulation (which must be installed on the
target machine).  it tends to be more posix complete/feature rich than mingw

mingw statically links in selected common "standard" posix functions.

the mingw stuff inside cygwin is to allow a cygwin environment to use gcc to
cross compile into mingw via the -mno-cygwin flag.

all the configure flag of --enable-mingw32 is doing is telling configure to
assume that a mingw environment is present.

This may or may not be the case depending upon if the mingw stuff was
installed via the cygwin-mingw packages in cygwin setup.

so, as your pretty much cross compiling for mingw anyway, and using some
cygwin hacks, doesn't it just make more sense to install mingw and use it?

and there's the added bonus that the mingw compilations been tested and is
supported.

-- rob