[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Aug 6 10:36:59 CEST 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 08:56:13AM +0200, Kenneth Lavrsen wrote:

> >There is a solution to this problem available to you: Include a working
> >CVS snapshot of FFmpeg in Motion.  It's what many other projects
> >building on FFmpeg do, at the very least all the players, i.e. MPlayer,
> >xine, vlc, avifile, tcvp.
>
> That is not a very good solution. Naturally that has been discussed in the
> Motion team. Both placing known good ffmpeg sources and known good RPMs and
> debs for download on the Motion sourceforge files page. And we probably
> will do that.
>
> But it is a very bad solution because ffmpeg is not just used for Motion.
> If it was it was not a big issue. But ffmpeg is used for so many other
> projects. Project that most people have and are using also. And it creates
> nothing but errors, trouble, bug reports, people giving up when they both
> have some old RPM of ffmpeg installed, and then install from sources from
> some CVS snapshot. It is totally out of control.

You seem to have misunderstood.  What you can do is copy FFmpeg sources
into Motion and link _statically_, not dynamically.  This is the way it
works for all the above-mentioned projects and it will make all your
problems go away.  People will even be saved the trouble of installing
an FFmpeg RPM.

As Michael said, if you wish this to change, come over and make it
happen yourself, I'm sure nobody will refuse a helping hand.

Diego