[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Balatoni Denes dbalatoni
Sun Aug 7 10:05:37 CEST 2005

Hi!

vas?rnap 07 augusztus 2005 01.37-kor Dave Airlie ezeket a bolcs gondolatokat
fogalmazta meg:
> The rest of the world doesn't statically link anything ever, dynamic
> linking works for every single library based project in existence
> today, and I'm asking the question what make ffmpeg different?

See http://www.iecc.com/linker/linker08.html, the part
"PIC costs and benefits". When developers have spent a considerable time
to gain even one percent speedup, they probably don't want to see this gain
disappear by the inclusion of the compiler option -fPIC (this is only on
legacy hardware, namely x86). But I am not an official certified ffmpeg
developer.

bye
Denes

--