[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Aug 7 11:16:52 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 01:01:29PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> I don't think anyone has requested high quality releases at this time,
> I think what most external project would like are sync points, where
> you say well the CVS tree was considered stable at this point, none of
> the main developers were in the middle of a large sweeping change that
> affects the whole project... stick a version number on it, drop a
> tarball say here's a good point to work with until the next one, the
> issue with working with CVS tarballs is at any point the only people
> who know what state they are in are the developers working on it, so
> the external project maintainer has to spend an inappropriate amount
> of time tracking changes made to CVS to see if what is there might be
> a good idea to incorporate into their own fork....

I think then you really didn't get how Fmpeg and MPlayer development
works. All CVS snapshots are supposed to be in that state, and at
least 90% of the time they actually are.
It really looks to me like you didn't really try to find a solution to
your problem yourself and instead expect the people here to implement
your ideas.
I'm sorry, I prefer Micheal and all the others working on better codec
support instead of caring about API stability and documentation - if
that is important to enough people, IMHO it should be possible to find
somebody who does it.
Sorry if it (currently?) doesn't fit your needs.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger