[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ffmpeg-devel-old] Re: Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Kenneth Lavrsen kenneth
Mon Aug 8 15:00:46 CEST 2005

>So my question is the following: Would forking be possible
>without offending anyone? If there was another ffmpeg CVS
>repository, which is automakified, but otherwise closely
>synced with the primary CVS, regular releases can be made
>from that. A smart shell script can sync the CVS almost
>automatically, even if the build systems are different. If
>some projects, which depend on ffmpeg, work together, the
>amount of labor stays reasonable. The ffmpeg people can point
>to these releases as "unsupported regular releases, using CVS
>is preferred". The only things we must make sure, are
>that ffmpeg developers aren't bothered with reports about bugs,
>they aren't responsible for, and that general bugfixes find their
>way back into the original ffmpeg.

I am for sure interested. And I do not even see the reason for an
additional CVS.
We can just agree - 3 times per year - which of the recent CVS snaps we
want to release based on experience and a short test with our own project
that WE do ourselves.

We choose a release candidate - test it - and if it works for all of us -
we release.
If not - we try another one.
That will be very simple and I will be happy to participate in that with
Motion.
I am sure we can arrange with the major packagers that they follow up with
their RPMs and debs.

Kenneth

--
Kenneth Lavrsen,