[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel-old] Re: Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Burkhard Plaum plaum
Tue Aug 9 01:42:14 CEST 2005

> > The only things we must make sure, are
> > that ffmpeg developers aren't bothered with reports about bugs,
> > they aren't responsible for, and that general bugfixes find their
> > way back into the original ffmpeg.
>
> This is just as bad. The problem is that everyone is using old crap
> and reporting bugs in old crap.

That's what I wrote above. It must be clearly said, that such releases
aren't supported by the ffmpeg project. Today, you get bugreports for
your latest 0.4.9pre1 or even 0.4.8. With 3 releases a year and a notice,
that ffmpeg people aren't responsible for them, things can only get better :)

Furthermore, when others prepare a release, they'll probably do some intensive
testing before. So you'll get bugreports and patches from developers, who know
at least a bit about multimedia.

> There's already a PERFECT solution
> that works for everyone who's doing it: include lavc with your project
> and static link it.

That doesn't work, if you need (for whatever reason) dynamic linking.
Furthermore, it's unneccesary labor, when dozens of projects upgrade their
ffmpeg trees all the time. So why not save some energy (and installation
disk space) where it makes sense?

Wondering how many Gigs my linux would need if every gnome applet would be
perfect enough to include and statically link gtk ;)

Burkhard