[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel-old] Re: Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Burkhard Plaum plaum
Tue Aug 9 11:49:14 CEST 2005

> LOL. Just a minute ago you were saying we could make snapshots direct
> from cvs and call them releases with no effort.

That was a suggestion from someone else. I also read this thread.

> Now you've made up
> some imaginary team that will clean up and maintain sync with a forked
> release codebase...

That's what I said from the very beginning.

> Make up your mind already!

What was that?

> You're missing the point: IT WILL NOT SAVE ENERGY! It will take a lot
> more work.

For whom? For the ffmpeg people? I don't think so.
I want a solution everyone can be happy with. So that ffmpeg people can
continue their work (and receive less mails about old releases or autotools).
And application developers have a package, they can depend on.

> If you think it's so easy, do it yourself, but chances are
> the lavc developers will have no part in it and will not endorse it.

We did a similar thing with quicktime4linux 4 years ago. Today, libquicktime
is part of many distributions and I know no application (except
cinelerra/xmovie or course), which depends on quicktime4linux anymore.

Unfortunately, communication with the original developer wasn't possible, so
we soon lost sync. I should note, that for libquicktime, we made huge changes
in the sourcecode, which we thought were necessary.

For ffmpeg, the situation is different, because I don't want to make changes to
the sources. The rule must be, that patches are submitted back to ffmpeg.

Burkhard