[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Alexander Strasser eclipse7
Wed Aug 10 22:11:00 CEST 2005

Fran?ois Revol wrote:
> > Dear Developers of ffmpeg
> >
> > ffmpeg is a very nice project from a technical point of view
> >
> > But from the view of a developer and project maintainer of a project
> > that
> > uses ffmpeg - the project is a nightmare.
>
> The thing that bothers me currently is that libavutil which is one more
> lib to care about,

  Don't know what you mean exactly but it is nothing new,
only reorganized.

> and isn't even linked to correctly in libavformat
> (undefined syms).

  Could you be a bit more concrete here. I made it
before my job started and only tested it on one
machine. So it likely that i overlooked problems
or just didn't see them on my target.
  I also send it in advance so it can be tested by
other people, but it seems no one did...
  Now I am working and I am not at home for 12h a
day, this means i can only work on free software
stuff at the weekends.

> Is it ok now to cvs ci again ?

  What do you want to check in?

> The use of more and more external GPL libs is also a problem...

  Alex (beastd)