[Ffmpeg-devel] ogg vorbis encode?

Rich Felker dalias
Tue Aug 16 04:38:42 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:15:37PM -0400, Justin Ruggles wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > This is totally wrong. Vorbis has a time base, you just need to
> > extract it based on the samplerate.
>
> ok. so should the vorbis time base be (1/audio sample rate) to match the
> granules?  right now it seems to be set to 1.

Yes. Actually it would be better to set the time base to:

gcd(vorbis packet lengths in samples) / samplerate

and then divide granulepos by that gcd. This will make storage in nut
and other formats somewhat more efficient, and make framecopy into avi
possible (otherwise it would use 99% overhead or something in avi).

BTW if I'm smoking crack, could someone (Michael?) correct me on this?

Rich