[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: uninstall target

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Thu Aug 25 12:28:56 CEST 2005

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michel Bardiaux said:
>
>>M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

>>>Huh?  Licenses imply nothing whatsoever about API or ABI stability, or any
>>>other usability factors.  Did you ever read the "as is" disclaimer?
>>
>>How is one supposed to use lavc while complying with LGPL? (rhetorical
>>question) The answers one finds all over the web are
>>
>>(1) dynalink to lavc.so so that users of your app can enjoy successive
>>releases of lavc by simply replacing the dso. This of course requires a
>>stable ABI.
>>
>>(2) Statically link your app to lavc.a but distribute relocatable
>>binaries of your app so that users blah blah by simply relinking your
>>app. This of course requires a stable ABI.
>>
>>(3) Distribute your app with source. But then its no longer LGPL but GPL.
>>
>>In other words, LGPL without a stable ABI is a scam: you cant comply
>>with it without acting as if it were GPL.
>

> Have you read the LGPL?  It doesn't require that your an app using an
> LGPL library must work with later releases of the library.  All that is
> required is that whoever receives the application also can obtain the
> source code of the library, and relink the application after possibly
> modifying the library sources.  This is not the same as the application
> working with any arbitrary modifications to the library.

OOOOOkay, so it is enough to release our apps with relocatable binaries
and a notice "compatible with ffmpeg cvs as of yyyymmdd"?

Mind you, my 3 points above may not be the *right* interpretation of the
LGPL, but they're really what is implied by the vast majority of pages
purporting to explain the LGPL.

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director