[Ffmpeg-devel] [patch] PIC fixes for i386

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Sun Dec 4 02:25:01 CET 2005

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> this must be tested with gcc 2.95, 3.3, 3.4 and 4.0 at minimum, iam pretty
> sure it wont work on all, some of these changes reverse gcc bug workarounds
> IIRC

The bug it worked around made gcc depletes registers, the patches should
do the same in another way (relaxing constraints).

tested on gcc-3.4.4 myself, other tests were held on other gcc version
in hardened mode (that means one register less available)

> if you did any benchmarks, please post them

gcc-3.4.4

amd64 time make test (after a make clean all install)

w/out
real    1m24.705s
user    1m6.200s
sys     0m10.505s

with
real    1m18.056s
user    1m5.776s
sys     0m7.464s

x86

w/out

real    5m3.860s
user    4m27.265s
sys     0m24.678s

with

real    5m2.649s
user    4m26.589s
sys     0m25.526s

I'll report the issues you pointed to the PaX team.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero