[Ffmpeg-devel] time for a release?

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Dec 13 01:46:43 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:55:27AM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> >Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >
> >>it's been a while since the last release and since then there has been a
> >>lot of development and many new features have been added to FFmpeg along
> >>with fixes for a good deal of bugs.  In short, I think it's time to make
> >>a new release.
>
> It does not make sense to issue a 'release' since at the first bug
> report regarding the 'release', the reply will be 'use cvs'.
>
> IMHO, either a release is declared, *and* it is supported; or, the
> cvs-only-support rule remains in force, and the only thing to do is to
> state very it clearly in all the docs.

People have been requesting a release and said they would be happy even
with CVS snapshots tagged as releases in regular intervals.  So let's
give it to them.

Supporting releases is a matter of manpower IMO.  If I look at the
FFmpeg patch backlog I simply come to the conclusion that there are
things with higher priority than supporting releases.

Diego