[Ffmpeg-devel] Shared libraries install script broken in cvs

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu Dec 15 12:06:05 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun said:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 05:31:00PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> >
>> >Please send an updated patch if you notice such a thing.
>>
>> Hopefully a correct one.
>
> In summary I'm going to reject this patch because:
>
> - I don't see why this should be necessary, it's ldconfig's job.
> - The bug report leading to this is incomplete at best.
> - This was originally posted to an unrelated thread.
>
> If this is really an issue, start a new thread with a detailed bug
> report.  Until then I consider the case closed.

Calm down a little.  The error report was perfectly sufficient.  I do not
recall whether it was posted in a hijacked thread, but that is beside the
point, even if thread hijacking is wrong.

The current makefile attempts to run ldconfig, but fails if 'make install'
is not run as root, or if $libdir is not in /etc/ld.so.conf.  If we are to
rely on ldconfig creating the links, we should be running it in a way that
doesn't fail, or at the very least document that the user must do whatever
it takes to have the links created.  Furthermore, just running ldconfig is
not enough to create all links needed, as ldconfig only creates a link for
the library SONAME (e.g. libavcodec.so.0), not the unversioned name of the
library (e.g. libavcodec.so).  The latter is required for linking with the
library, since the linker will only search for lib*.so and lib*.a, and not
names with a version number appended.  Creating libfoo.so links is not the
job of ldconfig.  Its job is to create the links needed to resolve runtime
dependencies, nothing else.

Phew, I don't think I'd be able to go on much longer keeping the lines all
the same length.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com