[Ffmpeg-devel] New Thread: Shared libraries install script broken in cvs

John C. McCabe-Dansted gmatht
Thu Dec 15 14:38:14 CET 2005

On Thursday 15 December 2005 23:07, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 05:31:00PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> > Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > >Please send an updated patch if you notice such a thing.
> >
> > Hopefully a correct one.
>
> In summary I'm going to reject this patch because:
>
> - I don't see why this should be necessary, it's ldconfig's job.

OK. I am not a ffmpeg developer and don't know anything about the patch. I
only suggested

  "The following allows ffplay to run:

  cd /usr/local/lib
  ln libavformat.so libavformat.so.50
  ln libavcodec.so libavcodec.so.51
  ln libavutil.so libavutil.so.49"

to demonstrate the scope of the failure and to provide a workaround to users
who came across the same problem.

> - The bug report leading to this is incomplete at best.

I have given the following information:

  "After I have compiled ffmpeg using shared libraries and run make install, I
  get the following error [when I try to run ffplay]:

  ffplay: error while loading shared libraries: libavformat.so.50: cannot open
  shared object file: No such file or directory"

And

  "[I am using] Ubuntu 5.10. ldconfig -V reports:

????????ldconfig (GNU libc) 2.3.5
????????Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

As suggested by M?ns Rullg?rd, the problem does not occur if I
put /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Is there any further information that would be of use?

> - This was originally posted to an unrelated thread.
>
> If this is really an issue, start a new thread with a detailed bug
> report.  Until then I consider the case closed.

OK.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
Masters Student