[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: time for a release?

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Fri Dec 16 20:26:29 CET 2005

Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> I really think that a release which introduces a stable API and
> consisten use of sonames in a shared libraries would help a lot. If all
> packages would just link dynamically to ffmpeg, updating and bugfixing
> ffmpeg would not cause a painful rebuild and resyncronizing of all
> applications!

There are patches recently committed and one currently discussed about
that, you may like to update your snapshot.

Still on API changes you'll have to rebuild everything...

> Since ffmpeg is used in quite a lot of projects, I'm pretty sure that
> there actually are people interested in backporting fixes from CVS to a
> stable release, which go towards a point release.

Usually people distributing ffmpeg uses snapshots.

> The problem now is, that we do want to support software like xine and
> mplayer, but we cannot, because they include 'problematic' parts of
> ffmpeg. If they could rely on a stable ffmpeg, so that they don't need
> to maintain an own fork of ffmpeg, it would be a lot easier for us to
> support those packages.

I was about to write some flammatory paragraph about patents in software
and the attitude taken toward that blatant abuse. Better say that you
are free to disable every codec beside the ones patent shielded (more or
less) and use the same configuration in every package.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero