[Ffmpeg-devel] Shared libraries install script broken in cvs

Jacob Meuser jakemsr
Sat Dec 17 05:44:51 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:19:18PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Jacob Meuser wrote:

> >>But, from the opposite perspective, why make them do it by hand? It
> >>would be possible to extend the same logic to say that people
> >>should copy the newly-compiled libraries into the 'installed'
> >>locations themselves, yet it's certainly much more convenient to
> >>have that done automatically; the same, I think, can be said about
> >>the matter at hand. It is easily possible to argue that an
> >>"install" command (such as 'make install') should do everything
> >>which is obviously necessary to get the installed thing into a
> >>workable state.
> >
> >ok, I suppose I went a little too far with that, especially
> >considering that if I don't want to run ldconfig, I can just do
> >
> >$ make LDCONFIG=true install
>
> Indeed. This doesn't remove the 'creates the symlinks automatically'
> step, but it's still an easier way of avoiding the ldconfig step.
>
> >>Not that the other points, about differing requirements among OS
> >>variants and the unwieldiness of supporting all of them, are
> >>necessarily invalid - but this particular notion is just bad
> >>reasoning IMO.
> >
> >maybe it should be noted somewhere that users who install as non-root
> >into nonstandard library search paths can use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or
> >refer them to their system's ld.so docs?
>
> That would probably be a good idea IMO. The question, obviously, is
> where - the first place to spring to mind is the INSTALL file, but many
> people (especially those who have compiled the program before) are
> unlikely to stop to read that; would somewhere in 'configure --help' be
> supportable, as the most likely to be noticed, or is that too intrusive?

again, IMO, this is something people who do such things shoulod know
about already.  if people ask, we could just point them to the list
archives, now that it's been discussed ;)

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>