[Ffmpeg-devel] Problem compiling latest cvs build of ffmpeg

Gary Masson massong
Mon Dec 19 12:18:09 CET 2005

Hi,

I am trying to get my feet wet playing with ffmpeg and ffserver, so I
decided I would try to compile it from the cvs source.

First, I apologize for my ignorance, I have very little C experience, so I
am a newbie here and a near-novice programmer, I have been around PC's all
my life so I'd like to think I can finally start to really learn to code,
please bear with me.

To attempt to compile the code I installed Cygwin on my windows system,
which seems to be running fine.

>From the cygwin console I used the CVS command to pull in the latest release
as shown below:

cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg co ffmpeg

Following the instructions in INSTALL I typed ./configure which seemed to
run fine, however, when I tried to do the make command I got the following
output:

/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:76: undefined reference to
`_av_free'
null.o: In function `Release':
/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:33: undefined reference to
`_av_free'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [null.so] Error 1
rm null.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/vhook'
make: *** [videohook] Error 2

At this point, I decided to ignore the errors and do a make install to see
what happens; which produced the following errors:

/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:76: undefined reference to
`_av_free'
null.o: In function `Release':
/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:33: undefined reference to
`_av_free'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [null.so] Error 1
rm null.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/vhook'
make: *** [videohook] Error 2

So, apparantly there is a problem with an undefined reference to '_av_free'
which is breaking my compile.

A couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to compile and run ffmpeg and ffserver under
windows/cygwin?  Can anyone suggest why I may be getting compile errors?
2) For testing purposes does cygwin run fast enough to actually stream a 1-2
Mbps video stream from ffmpeg encoder through to ffserver and out to a
'test' client on my windows system? (I am using a P4 3 Ghz system to test
this on)
3) I'm thinking about using VLC on the windows PC as my client to connect to
ffserver running under cygwin to stream the video. Does that make sense or
should I be using a different client?

Thanks for any help.

Gary