[Ffmpeg-devel] Switch to svn?

Dario Andrade dario
Sat Dec 24 19:17:38 CET 2005

What happened to the Idea of switching the repo to svn?

Notes:

1) The entire repository does not need to be converted. Only the head
revisions are necessary to start a new svn history.

Every time one needs to retrieve an old revision, the old "read-only" CVS
repo will still be there.

2) CVS2SVN is very mature, and with a repo like ffmpeg with very few
tags/branches, I believe that running that utility to create a new svn repo
will be very easy.

3) Fixing bugs will happen much more often, since the complaint can be
followed by a revision number to indicate the binary state that can
reproduce the bug.

4) Embedding ffmpeg will be a lot easier to me, since I can always retrieve
the source from a revision number instead of saving the whole source code in
my own repository (Updates to the library are not too often when you need to
release a stable version of your own application).

Hope it helps,

Merry Christmas to FFMPEG folks!

Dario Andrade