RES: Why git or Mercurial? (Was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Switch to svn?)

Dario Andrade dario
Sun Dec 25 19:52:31 CET 2005

>> it would be interresting to see some examples of the practical use cases
>> something like the equivalents of:
>>
>> vi blah ; cvs di -u blah ; cvs commit blah
>> cvs up blah
>> cvs di -u -r 1.11 -r 1.12 blah
>> cvs log blah
>> cvs annotate -r 1.234 blah
>> cvs add blah
>> cvs remove blah
>> ssh server ; cp blah,v blue,v
>> cvs admin -o
>> cvs admin -m
>>
>> and how much diskspace it needs on the client side
>>
>for mercurial :
>http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/CvsCommands

Most of the open source community is already working with SVN (apache, xiph,
videolan).
I don't see any sense at all even to try evaluating anything other than svn
or cvs.
Others are hardly known, and unless ffmpeg was a private project, there's no
meaning to make things difficult to incoming developers.
That's my point of view.

Cheers,
Dario Andrade