[Ffmpeg-devel-old] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Some tweaks to better respect max bitrate

Erik Slagter erik
Mon Dec 26 12:17:49 CET 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-25 at 14:46 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On the subject but possibly complete bogus, but you can never know ;-)
> >
> > Someone in transcode-devel had the following idea. The noise reduction
> > function may achieve a large improvement in compression ratio, although
> > you obviously don't want to use it too extensive because finer details
> > will get lost. The idea is to change the noise reduction strength
> > dynamically, controlled by the rate control function. If the rate
> > control must fall back to a significant larger q because the buffer is
> > almost full, it might try again with a higher noise reduction strength,
> > and hopefully achieve a better compression thus avoiding the need to use
> > a (very) large q.
> >
> > In the end it will come down to trading in some blockyness for less
> > detail, which, it seems, is less ugly to the eye.
> >
> > Just a thought ;-)
>
> I like the idea a lot. Care to try submitting a patch to demonstrate
> and see if it works well?
>
> Rich

I am very sorry, but that would require me to dive deeply into the code
(and also to understand all math beneath). The last time I did, trying
to understand the rate control code, I really gave up after some time. I
guess my qualities are in different areas ;-) ;-)