[Ffmpeg-devel] Questions about DVD export

Stefan Frings stefan
Tue Jul 5 23:52:34 CEST 2005

Hello,
I did not find the author of the export script ffmpeg_dvd_dual.sh. I have a
question to him or anybody else who might have an answer for me.

1)
This script creates a DVD with mpeg1video format. I thought that mpeg2video is
normally better, therefore I wonder why the author selected mpeg1video.

2)
As far as I can see, the program uses always AC3 audio for NTSC movies and MP2
audio for PAL movies. Does that make sense? I would always encode audio in
MP2 (or AC3) not depending it to the video format.

3)
When ffmpeg is running, then my CPU maximizes its clock frequency and the CPU
load goes permanently to 100%. I did not expect anything else. But when I
renice +1 the ffmpeg process, the the CPU usage goes down to 50%. I expected
that the program still uses full CPU power as long no other program needs the
CPU. Can somebody explain why ffmpeg does not use the full CPU power in that
case?

By the way: I like to thank the developers for mplayer, mencoder and ffmpeg. I
use these programs to make my own DVD's from TV recording and also from my DV
camera. It took a lot of time to learn how to use that programs and I also
had to fix some kernel driver problems. But now it works fine and I have a
lot of fun with my videos.