[Ffmpeg-devel] av_seek_frame() units

Nathan Kurz nate
Wed Jul 6 21:40:02 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:04:44PM -0700, Ian Gowen wrote:
> On 7/6/05, Andy Parkins <andyparkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure why you would need to do this.  What source for frame_number are
> > you using - it's not in any of the AV structures.
>
> I'm working on a video editing application. If the user wants to
> preview frame 320, I
> need it to seek to frame 320, not the nearest keyframe or a frame in
> the general
> vicinity of frame 320.

Not to be too discouraging, but you should also know that seek is
badly broken for many formats.  It's quite possible that you are doing
things correctly, but are being bitten by bugs.  If you search  the
archives from (I think) the end of last year you'll find a fairly
elaborate test program I wrote to test which formats work.  I had
submitted it as a regression test, but as it pointed out new bugs
rather than regressions it wasn't included in the test suite.

Nathan Kurz
nate at verse.com