[Ffmpeg-devel] RTSP/RTP streaming with ffmpeg

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Mon May 2 12:57:15 CEST 2005

Torben Knerr wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have some RTSP/RTP streaming related questions.
> i found nothing in the documentation about streaming,
> but google says that ffmpeg supports it :)
>
> 1) can ffmpeg act as an RTSP server and send encoded streams over RTP?
ffserver should support it, if you want to help developing ffserver you
are welcome =)

> 2) if not, is it possible to send the encoded stream over RTP to a
> Streaming server (e.g. Darwin),
> which in turn does the RTSP Session setup etc.?
fenice is commonly used with ffmpeg as live feeder ( see
http://streaming.polito.it/node/38 ), there is a set of experimental
tools in the svn to have some more control (FeLiCe and mclient).

> 3) if yes, can ffmpeg also handle 3gp and mp4 (i know it supports it for
> file output) streams for sending over RTP?
ffserver _should_ support more or less everything ffmpeg can do, keep in
mind that I say should since ffserver probably requires some improvements.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Manager
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero