[Ffmpeg-devel] Visual C++ compatibility

Rich Felker dalias
Tue May 3 22:32:09 CEST 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 01:18:29PM -0700, Ed Klein wrote:
> I'm a "newbie" to this list and the ffmpeg project, so apologies if this
> topic has already been beaten to death before, but:
>
> Has anyone done a port of the entire project (ffmpeg + libavcodec +
> libavformat) to Microsoft's Visual C++?  I just started on this myself, but
> if someone else has already been down this path I'd love to hear about it.

Not gonna happen, and there's really no reason to do it. You can build
libavcodec as a dll or .lib file and use it with MSVC already. MSVC is
too broken and incompatible to compile valid C (after all it's
primarily a C++ compiler pretending to also support C) not to mention
that it can't use the gcc-style inline asm so it would be hopelessly
slow.

Rich