[Ffmpeg-devel] No more warning message for incorrect image filename syntax

Eran Guendelman erang
Mon May 9 21:13:05 CEST 2005

I installed ffmpeg 0.4.9-pre1 from a SuSE rpm (specifically
ffmpeg-0.4.9-3.pm.pre1.i686.rpm).  I tried grabbing a frame from a video,
and used e.g. "t.jpg" as my output filename.  Rather than telling me
that the filename required a %d, I got back the error message

Unable for find a suitable output format for 't.jpg'

Since I initially couldn't tell that the problem was with my filename, I
spent some time trying to figure out what was wrong, trying all sorts of
other file formats, re-installing, etc.  (Actually yuv and gif seemed to
work, but those formats weren't useful to me).

Eventually I tried an older rpm I had lying around:
ffmpeg-0.4.6-fr3.i386.rpm, and when I ran this with the same commandline
arguments it gave me the more reasonable message

t.jpg: Incorrect image filename syntax.
Use '%d' to specify the image number:
  for img1.jpg, img2.jpg, ..., use 'img%d.jpg';
  for img001.jpg, img002.jpg, ..., use 'img%03d.jpg'.

So I'm not sure if the absence of this message from the latest version is
due to changes in the source code, or somehow due to whoever packaged this
rpm.  But I hope this message can be put back so others don't run into the
same confusion.

I'm not subscribed to this list so reply to erang at stanford.edu