[Ffmpeg-devel] build broken again...

Måns Rullgård mru
Mon May 9 23:46:39 CEST 2005

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

>> > -> they should be loaded at the same location in the virtual address
>> > space of every process
>>
>> What if two libraries use the same address region?
>
> what if 2 files in one directory have the same name? or what if 2 files use
> the same disk sector or, ...

A non-PIC library, as the name implies, must be loaded a specific
address in memory.  The first time it is mapped, a text relocation
might fix the problem, but if another application needs the same
library, and already has mapped something else at that location, there
is nothing to be done, except making a new copy.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com