[Ffmpeg-devel] Compilation with --enable-theora fails

Rich Felker dalias
Thu May 12 01:32:26 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:24:27AM +0200, matthieu castet wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> >On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:31:40PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> >>And before I'd consider
> >>anything related to matroska a de facto standard, I'd want to see at
> >>least a few percent of the files in the wild to be in matroska format.
> >>So far, I have come across two (2) matroska files, not counting sample
> >>files.
> >

> >Download anime. There are hundreds, probably thousands of files in
> >Matroska format. Most of them have vorbis audio, although more and
> >more are (stupidly) AAC instead now because of a myth that it
> >compresses better. I can give you plenty of samples (first few megs of
> >a file) if you want to see... Or just browse anidb.info to look at all
> >the mkv files in the database.
> >
> Yes but compare it to the number of avi : there are a big minority. I
> could say there hundreds wmv or even ogm...

good files are always in the minority, because the majority of people
"backing up" their dvds are incompetent.. :)

> <troll>

indeed.. :)

> mkv are often use for dvd-rip and I don't download it : there often have
> a useless non-japanese stream,

i agree it's useless. but avi-files are hard-subbed which means you
can't turn off the subtitles or use your own better ones if you find
better ones.

> the subtitle aren't top quality, there
> are missing part (preview at the end of the episode), because the

if part of the file is missing, the group who ripped it is just
incompetent. i've seen this a lot more with avi files than with ogm or
mkv...

> subtitle need to be incrusted (because no player (at least on linux) is
> able to display correctly the ssa/ass with effect) the subtitle stream
> is useless,...

useless? it displays just fine for me -- all you need is the basic
text... if you want better sub rendering feel free to submit a patch.

> count the number of mkv on a.scarywater.net ...

bt sucks. you get shitty release groups and broken files, it's for
leechers who want to get stuff as fast as they can and don't care
about quality.

rich