[Ffmpeg-devel] [patch] *BSD bktr grab support

Jacob Meuser jakemsr
Sun May 22 21:40:24 CEST 2005

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 08:51:41PM +0200, matthieu castet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jacob Meuser wrote:
> >On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 11:04:13AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >

> >unless bktr is ported to Linux (unlikely), or V4L and bttv are ported
> >to *BSD (maybe some day, but then there would be no need for bktr) ...
> >
> >impossible, well, no.  likely, definitely no.
>
> There was a post on v4l ML, where bsd people asking if they could use
> the v4l api under a bsd license.
> So may be there will be soon a v4l emulation under bsd.

I am aware of that effort.  regardless, bktr would be replaced with
a new V4L driver (IIRC, there is most of one already).  I would hope,
anyway.  so, there would be no need to be able to use both.  and still,
it would probably be a year, if things go smooth, before this would
affect anyone who isn't fully aware of what they are doing ...

the whole reason behind porting V4L to BSD is to make porting apps
to BSD easier ... most multimedia stuff comes from Linux land.

it would be nice to have something in the meantime.

so, I don't really see this as much more of a conflict than OSS
audio and BeOS audio.  speaking of which, would you be interested
in "sun" audio support?  someone @NetBSD added this to
libavformat/audio.c in their pkgsrc stuff.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>