[Ffmpeg-devel] mpeg transport streams

Eric L. Hernes eric
Fri May 27 00:21:52 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I've been working on encoding transport streams.  I am playing the files
through a digital cable distribution, hardware multiplexer, QAM mod,
etc.  Attached are three sets of I've been using to generate transport
streams that play on the set top.

The changes to mpegtsenc.c are
* Send full frames as PES packets rather than breaking them into
transport sized blocks.
* Properly stuff the adaptation field if a packet is short.
* Calculate a PCR from the PTS - framesize
* Stuff the stream with null packets up to satisfy mux_rate

The changes to mpeg12.c / mpegvideo.c are:
* Uncomment and finish the option for mpeg2 streams to use the mpeg2 VLC
table

The changes to ffmpeg.c are:
* Specify mux_rate in Kbps (like other rates)
* Allow b_frames to be 0. I have a specific decoder target that requires
there not be any B-Frames in the source (I realize it is not a fully
compliant decoder), and there was nothing in the rest of the code that
broke if b_frames was zero. (At least in the MPEG2 codec).

-Eric <cid:part1.04050901.05060506 at hernes.ws>