[Ffmpeg-devel] "error, non monotone timestamps" when extracting audio from 3gp

Julian Scheid julian
Wed Nov 9 11:57:19 CET 2005

Hi,

I have a problem with ffmpeg from CVS.  This is probably a regression
since it worked better with ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1.

I'm trying to extract raw AMR audio data from a 3GP file.  This is the
command line I am using:

         ffmpeg -y -i test.3gp -vn -acodec copy out.amr

Using ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1 (configured with --enable-mp3lame and
--enable-amr_nb) this works fine and I end up with the correct data
(20310 bytes of audio data).

But using today's ffmpeg from CVS (same configuration options, same gcc
version, same mp3lame and AMR codec versions), or when using Debian
unstable's latest ffmpeg package, I get the following errors (the full
log files are attached):

error, non monotone timestamps 1355254 >= 1355254 (CVS)
error, non monotone timestamps 1353600 >= 1353600 (Debian/unstable)

And in both cases I end up with only 762 bytes of bogus audio data.

What may be interesting is that regarding the video stream in the 3GP
file, it's the other way around: ffmpeg 0.4.9-pre1 only extracts 27
frames from the video file, while ffmpeg CVS correctly extracts 98
frames.  In other words, using 0.4.9-pre1 I can extract the audio, but
not the video data; using the latest version, I can extract video but
no audio.  This suggests that the two issues are related, maybe the
fix for the video problem introduced a regression?

My question is, is there any way to make both video and audio
extraction work correctly at the same time? I would like to avoid
using two different ffmpeg binaries, one for each purpose.

Please let me know if you need the movie sample I have been using.  I
haven't uploaded it yet because it is copyrighted content and I would
have to get permission first.

If there's anything else I can do, like enabling debug information or
adding output statements to the code, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Julian Scheid