[Ffmpeg-devel] Basic video understanding

Bram Biesbrouck b
Sun Oct 2 03:05:28 CEST 2005

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself to the list. I'm Bram from Belgium
and I started writing an advanced screen capturing and screencast-creation
program for the GNU/Linux platform. It will be published under the GPL soon I
hope.

As I was quite new to the entire (advanced) graphics/codec/encoding/X/...
world, I started my project with a lot of reading. I went through a bunch of
X, Xlibs, ffmpeg and (some) mpeg documentation and then, started coding.
Right now, I have a basic (working) program that lets the user select a
window to capture and output the image-stream to a ffmpeg-supported format.
As I said, still quite basic, and probably written a million times before
(actually, I used the xvidcap project as a reference), but I wanted to lean
it to myself.

Right now, I'm looking for a person who can give me some information and
pointers to help me along the way. The screen capturing on my machine (not
the fastest laptop on earth) is quite slow and I get a lot of buffer
underruns while capturing. More yet, my understanding of the various (and
sometimes probably quite simple) settings and inner workings of ffmpeg is too
inadequate to move on. I ran some tests and even did some statistics, but
some things, I just can't figure out. For example (and now, you'll probably
laugh :)), if I feed the encoder 100 images at a frame rate of 25 fps, why
isn't my movie always 4 seconds long? Sometimes more, sometimes less.

To sum up, I'm looking for a person that doesn't mind me bothering him/her
with a few questions. Maybe I should just use the list for that purpose, but
it would be a lot easier to have one or a few people that can help me; I
would probably annoy the whole list with stupid questions. Please mail or
reply me if you're interested.

thanks,

b.