[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Codec

Måns Rullgård mru
Tue Oct 4 22:30:09 CEST 2005

Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

> Fran?ois Revol wrote:

>>> 	VP6: Not yet. There is a Java decoder for it, though. Java is
>>> rumored to be platform-independent.
>> Highly overhyped rumor, it actually runs on all platforms... that
>> have a JVM.
>
> 	Right, both of them. :) Funny essay on the matter:
>
>    http://web.ivy.net/~carton/academia/java_languageoftomorrow.html
>
> I was joking of course; I would not expect anyone to use Java for
> serious cross-platform work.

Recently, Java has become usable in the situations it was originally
intended for, i.e. cell phones, set top boxes, etc.  These
environments are much less diversified than PCs, and Java applications
can actually be truly portable between, for instance, cell phones of
different makes, using different architectures.

Implementing a video codec in Java still makes no sense at all, of
course.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com