[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Codec

Colin Ward lists
Thu Oct 6 11:24:55 CEST 2005

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

   [Snip]

>>   And as someone who works in the mobile industry, I can tell you that
>>Java on mobile phones is WORSE than Java on the desktop.  It's a
>>nightmare.
>
> Hardly surprising, really.  However, I work in the digital TV industry,
> and Java is often used for interactive apps created by the broadcasters
> to run on the set top boxes.  A broadcaster typically has many different
> STB models deployed, and being able to run the same apps on all of them
> is an advantage compared to compiling for whatever CPU each them uses.
> I'm talking about apps downloaded off the satellite/cable here.  Code
> residing in the STB flash memory is typically written in C (not C++,
> mind you).

   The main problem is that the Java VMs, and more importantly, the API
implementations, are all implemented separately by separate companies.
So you can't guarantee consistency and different methods and/or classes
will behave in completely different ways while still conforming to the
documented way of working.  Really nasty.

   I don't know what the STB box situation is like.  I guess that it
depends on how many vendors the VMs and API implementations come from.

[Hitman/Code HQ - 6502/z80/68000/604e/80x86/ARM coder - Amiga rulez!]
[VZ-200/VIC-20/MZ-700/c16/c64*10/c128*8/Plus-4/CPC464/CD32/500*2    ]
[600/1000/1200*2/A4000/SNES/N64/Dreamcast/Athlon 1100/AmigaOne      ]
[Assembly Language: The most fun you can have with your clothes on! ]