[Ffmpeg-devel] SMPTE VC-1 Decoder For FFmpeg

Mike Melanson mike
Fri Oct 7 18:20:23 CEST 2005

matthieu castet wrote:
> The reference decoder is very slow, with my athon xp 1800+, some frame
> take near one second to decode...
> So I believe people still want native decoder...

	The reference decoder decodes 640x480 WMV9 material in realtime on my
AMD64 (3400+) but I know in principle that we need the open source
decoder. To that end...

> I don't know how you plan to implement native decoder (RE with English

	That's the way I usually do it (RE -> English and then re-implement). I
already have several hundred lines written, mostly for the
initialization. I have started with the primary decoding as well,
including CBP prediction (which I have never seen before).

	In fact, writing this English language spec is what inspired me to
ponder on my blog about a compiler that could actually compile the spec
directly.

> spec ?), but may be some distributed RE via a wiki (I don't remember the
> link, but some people already do that for RE the wifi broadcom mips
> binary driver) could be interesting.

	This sounds interesting. How could we structure such a Wiki? I actually
set up my first Wiki last night on my own site, but for a completely
frivolous project. Setting up the MediaWiki software is ridiculously
simple.

--
	-Mike Melanson