[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Visual studio .net problem

Ian McIntosh ianm
Fri Oct 14 11:36:16 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Field" <sfield at microcreations.com>
To: <ffmpeg-devel at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 7:52 PM
Subject: [Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Visual studio .net problem

> Martin Boehme <boehme <at> inb.uni-luebeck.de> writes:

> > > i have ffmpeg stuff in my project dir:
> > > myprojectdir\
> > >     \include\ffmpeg
> > >     \lib (contains av*.lib)
> > >     \bin (contains av*.dll and .exe)
> > >
> > > then i add directory myprojectdir\include\ffmpeg and myprojectdir\lib
in
> > > visual studio options as additional directories for include and lib
> > > files respectively
> >
> > Have you tried copying the DLLs to the directory that contains your
program?

> > You said in your other post that you deleted all of the FFmpeg libraries
> > that you found on your system -- did that change anything?
> >
> > Have you tried executing your own program after deleting all FFmpeg
> > libraries (it should come up with some kind of error saying that it
> > can't find the DLLs)? If that doesn't happen, it means that there's
> > still some DLL lurking around somewhere...

> > > i think so....
> > > i mean, if i run msys window and type link.exe it gives me
> > > Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 7.10.3077
> > > Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
> > > usage etc etc
> > >
> > > lib files are
> > > avcodec.lib (137.912 bytes)
> > > avformat.lib (188.028 bytes)
> > > avutil.lib (5.994 bytes)
> > > mingw make should generate lib dll and everything i need? is it
correct?

> > That looks pretty OK...
> >
> > > no need to run stuff like dlltool.exe manually, right?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > Martin
> >

> Hey everyone,
>
> I just wanted to join because I have the same exact problem.  I can link
and
> execute, but when it comes to avcodec_find_encoder or avcodec_find_decoder
they
> return NULL.
>
> If anyone has made any finding I would love to hear them.
>
>     I am working with:
>
> Visual Studio .NET 7.1.3088
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> minGW 3.2.3
>
> FFMPEG.exe Info:
> ffmpeg version CVS, build 3276800, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
>   configuration:  --enable-memalign-hack --enable-mingw32 --enable-mp3lame
> --extra-cflags=-I/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/local/lib
>   built on Oct  4 2005 13:54:56, gcc: 3.2.3 (mingw special 20030504-1)
>
> ./configure settings for libraries:
> --enable-memalign-hack --enable-mingw32 --enable-mp3lame --enable-shared
> --extra-cflags=-I/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/local/lib
>
> Scott

Hi

On the 3rd of october Ahmad Zaidee bin Abu sent a mail (subject: Problem
with returned AVCodecContext)
that hinted at a possible solution to this problem.

Here's the gist of what was said (thats relevant, I think):
"
// Register all formats and codecs

av_register_all();

avcodec_init();

avcodec_register_all();

(have to do avcodec_init & avcodec_register_all, otherwise codec not found)
"

Possibly try this out and see if it resolves your problem. If so, then maybe
this
is a bug with the Windows implementation??

Ian

(new to ffmpeg)