[Ffmpeg-devel] Problems building libav* with a subset of codecs and formats

Colin Ward hitman
Sat Oct 15 08:01:13 CEST 2005

  Hi all.

  I have been working on a media player that is based on FFMPEG and until
recently I used all of the formats and codecs that FFMPEG offered.  I
initialised them by calling av_register_all() in libavformat() and enabling
the CONFIG_* defines for all of the formats and codecs.  This worked
wonderfully but resulted in a 6 MB (!) executable.

  So I stripped my libraries down to just support a subset of FFMPEG's
supported formats and codecs.  Basically MPEG 1/2 video, AVI video, MP2,
MP3, Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Theora (both internal versions).  Ok great, now my
executable is only 1.8 MB, much better.

  However, now I have trouble playing some files that played just fine
before.  For instance, any AVI files that I have that contain DIVX encoded
video will not work.  They just output a lot of information about headers
not being complete.  Interestingly enough, this output comes from h263.c.
I am not familiar with the internals of FFMPEG but my guess is that the
wrong codec is decoding this data.  After all, aren't there a few different
MPEG4 based codecs out there?  ie.  The MSMPEG4v1, MSMPEG4v2 etc. codecs,
the "real" MPEG4 codec, DIVX etc.

  Take a look at the attached "Log.txt" file to see the errors.  I have
also attached my initialisation function (that replaces av_register_all())
- can someone tell me if there are calls to any initialisation functions
that are missing to decode DIVX video?  Is the order of the calls
important?  And what are the parsers that are registered?  How are they
different to the formats that are registered?

  Thanks in advance for any tips.  :-)  I've been scratching my head over
this for a while!

[Hitman/Code HQ - 6502/z80/68000/604e/80x86/ARM coder - Amiga rulez!]
[VZ-200/VIC-20/MZ-700/c16/c64*10/c128*8/Plus-4/CPC464/CD32/500*2    ]
[600/1000/1200*2/A4000/SNES/N64/Dreamcast/Athlon 1100/AmigaOne      ]
[Assembly Language: The most fun you can have with your clothes on! ]
????????