[Ffmpeg-devel] switch to svn

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Thu Oct 20 14:31:04 CEST 2005

2005/10/20, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch>:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask whether the developers of FFmpeg and MPlayer
> would agree to switch from cvs to svn.
>
> The reason is that svn would allow to more easily seperate
> the repo users from system users and thus make administration
> simpler. It also has IMHO better support for backups and
> a few other nice to have features.
>
> >From a user point of view, the change would mostly just
> require to use svn instead of cvs with nearly all commands
> being the same.
>
> So, would you agree on the switch from cvs to svn?

I won't oppose a switch to svn.
I've used svn and I don't find big difference than cvs.

The biggest concern against moving it, is that it is patch oriented. In
other words reposity consist of patch files compared to previous version. If
one such file is lost, we loose everything after it. In comparison with cvs
we would loose only the files that are damaged (e.g. Changelog). I am also
not sure what speed impact would that create after every little change
boosts the patch and revision count, as we have a lot of files and do a lot
of changes.
Of course this is a little concern as we are supposed to have an good backup
solution (this time).
I also think svn does not have real tags, but something more like snapshots.
Anyway nor mplayer, nor ffmpeg use branches, so there isn't anything we must
worry about.

On another side, it would be really nice to have something like
http://www.edgewall.com/trac/ or even better.