[Ffmpeg-devel] Patch add function to read record time in dv video

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Sep 5 21:32:54 CEST 2005

Hi

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 11:37:50AM -0600, Fred Rothganger wrote:
[...]
> metadata as having different levels of availability.  Some items may be
> immediately available in the working state of the format implementation,
> while other items may require special action to extract.

[...]

> >yes, everything must be associated with a struct in some way (same for your
> >proposal)
> >no, it wont necessary be a field in a struct but could be a name+value tag
> >in a linked list or other data structure
> >

>    I would like you to consider the possibility of computed values or
> values retrieved only on demand.  This would be more efficient than
> filling up structures with stuff that the user program has no interest in.

i would like our API design to stay related to reality, that is in reality
you often cant seek forward or back (realtime stream) so on demand loading
is not going to work there, furthermore, please show some examples in
relation to multimedia files where the filling up would be an issue, it
never was in the past why should it now?
and for the unlikely case that it is an issue, we can just add a flag which
would prevent loading a specific set of metadata

Michael