[Ffmpeg-devel] Specific revisions from CVS

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Sep 13 11:40:23 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:14:09PM +0100, Barry Cooper wrote:

> Believe it or not, I spent a considerable while searching google for
> "cvs specific revision" in order to work out how to get something
> other than the current revision. The man page was a little confusing.

CVS is not something you figure out after a few minutes of googling if
you have no previous experience with version control.  It's one of those
things where you may have to sit down and read a book about it to wrap
your head around the concepts.

Here is one such book:

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

Alternatively, you can use this web frontend to the FFmpeg CVS
repository:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ffmpeg/?cvsroot=FFMpeg

> I have to say, Michel, I find your aggressive tone a little uncalled
> for. I apologise for my ignorance but in my defence:
>
> - I am not a unix virgin, neither am I stupid.
> - I am also, however, not a unix guru. I am here for fun.
> - I didn't think the "user" mailing list was the place the post
> compilation questions.
> - I have spent a lot of time in the last week searching the interweb
> for clues rather than jump in on a mailing list and waste people's time
> with a newbie question to be found in a FAQ. But at the end of the day
> I was a little stuck and thought, mailing lists are here to allow
> people to share their knowledge, so sent my question.

I really don't mean this to sound derogatory, but you will probably be
considered a newbie by the (high) standards of this mailing list.

If in doubt, ask on the user mailing list first :)

> I would gladly improve my shell script knowledge and update these
> patches (if I get them all to work) to the latest release. Hey, I'd
> even like to help people verify their code compiles on osx (we
> darwiners seem to be in a minority. or at least a vocal minority).
> Anything to do my bit for the open source community, I use enough of
> the software, I should contribute somehow.

Can you point me at that patch, I'll look it over, I can reboot my
PowerBook into OS X after all.

> Suggestion - another mailing list for complilation / compatibility
> issues (as I am clearly not a coder by day nor night)?

There is: ffmpeg-users.

> Or how about a decently detailed faq to keep plebs like me off your
> mailing list?

We accept patches and suggestions for the FAQ anytime.

Please understand that it's not possible to answer every question on
this mailing list.  If the communication channels get clogged with
questions not directly related to development, no real development would
take place...

Diego