[Ffmpeg-devel] A B C versions

Måns Rullgård mru
Tue Sep 13 11:59:58 CEST 2005

Sir Pingus said:
> Hi,
>
> In our project XdTV (xawdecode.sf.net) we use the FFMpeg library.
> We try to keep the compatibility of all versions of FFMpeg (0.4.6, 0.4.7,
> 0.4.8, 0.4.9pre1, Cvs) because the users ask such things.
> It's a big work as the FFMpeg API has sometimes some changes but we can do
> that.
>
> With your new system "A B C versions" we have a big problem now.
>
> To keep the compatibility we use such lines:
> #if LIBAVCODEC_BUILD >= 4729
> and we use also these two functions: avcodec_build() and avcodec_version()
>
> The problem is that if we test LIBAVCODEC_BUILD  we don't get 5000 as expected
> but a number very big (i don't remember it). To test it it's very easy:
> fprintf(stderr,"FFMPeg build = %d\n", LIBAVCODEC_BUILD)
> This result is the same now with both avcodec_build() and avcodec_version().
> Why? Normally the version in the past was 0.4.8 or other and the build was
> 4765 or other.

Read the mailing list archives for some discussion regarding the change of
numbering.

> Is there any problem with the new system? How can we get a compatibility with
> the old versions?

The idea was that there would be less problems with the new system.  It is
still compatible with the old system.  The build number is still increasing,
although it took a rather large step at one point.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com